26 August 2014
How does the Industry Dialogue collect information when you visit our Website?
We have configured Piwik to operate without using cookies. In addition, all individualized data collected by Piwik will be deleted within 30 days, and only aggregate analytics data will be retained by the ID. The ID will not seek to reidentify individual users from this aggregate analytics data.To learn more about Piwik, visit http://piwik.org/privacy/.
What information does the ID automatically collect when you visit our Web site?
When you visit any web page hosted at our Website, we will record the following information about you through Piwik:
- Internet Protocol (IP) address – The address of your computer on the Internet. Your IP address gets transmitted whenever you communicate online or surf the Web so that the content you are looking at and the people you are talking to can find your computer on the network.
- Browser type, version, and operating system – Knowing the browsers (for example, Internet Explorer 9 or Firefox 8) and operating systems (for example Windows XP or Mac OS X) used by our visitors helps us optimize the display and delivery of our Website for visitors accessing it from differing software platforms.
- Screen size – Knowing the screen sizes used by our visitors helps us optimize the display and delivery of our Website for visitors.
- Technologies supported by your browser for Java, Adobe Flash, Adobe Director, and Adobe PDF, and the audio formats supported by your browser for RealPlayer, QuickTime, and Windows Media Player – Knowing the formats supported by visitors’ browsers helps us optimize the content on our Website for visitors accessing it with different browser configurations.
- URL of the page that directed you to our Website – If you arrive at our Website through a link on another website – a blog, newspaper article, or search engine, for example – our web server will record the address of the web page that referred you to our site. If you arrive at our Website by clicking on a search result returned by a search engine, our server will record the search terms that you used.
- Whether you have bookmarked our Website on your web browser – This information is only reported for Internet Explorer users.
- The web pages within our Website that you visit, the web page you visit first on our Website (the entry page), and the web page you visit last on our Website (the exit page).
- Bandwidth used – The total number of bytes downloaded when you browse our Website.
- Amount of time you spend during a visit to our Website.
- Time and date of your Website visit.
- Language of your browser.
What do we do with the information we automatically collect when you visit our Website?
The data we collect is processed by our analytics services for the purposes of analyzing general traffic patterns and performing routine system maintenance. This information shows us which features are being used or read most often, from which areas of the country and the world our site is attracting visitors, and how people are finding our Website. All of this information helps us determine how to make our Website more accessible and useful.
The ID can never (and will never try to) trace aggregate traffic reports back to an individual user. To see a graphical demonstration of the types of information the ID can see via our analytics programs, click here.
Our site search function is supported by WordPress (https://wordpress.com/), an open source Content Management System. The ID records search terms used in searches of our Website. We will retain search terms for no more than 31 days. We do not correlate search term data with IP address or any other information about our visitors.
What information can you choose to share with the ID?
Except as noted here, the ID uses information that you share with us voluntarily only for internal purposes. Specific types of information that you may choose to share with the ID include:
Feedback and Emailing Us
Twitter and Facebook
You can share articles and blog posts from our site on Twitter and Facebook. To use this feature, you must enter your Twitter or Facebook login information. This information is collected directly by Twitter or Facebook and will not in any way be transmitted to or logged by the ID. Using the Tweet or Facebook buttons will take you off of our Website and on to the Twitter or Facebook website. This will not result in cookies being placed on your computer by our Website, but may result in cookies being placed by those sites.
Email a Friend
You can email articles from our Website to friends. To use this feature, you must enter your and your friends’ email addresses. This information is processed directly by a form on the Website, and will not be stored by the ID. Emailing articles to your friends will not result in cookies being placed on your computer.
Our Disclosure Policies
The ID does not sell, rent, exchange or otherwise disclose to third parties any information that we collect about our site visitors without consent. We will, however, comply with lawful requests from law enforcement that follow appropriate legal standards and procedures. If the law or a lawful order requires us to disclose information about your activities on our Website, we will (unless prohibited by law from doing so) attempt to contact you prior to such disclosure, and attempt to disclose to you the fact that we have submitted information to legal authorities (including disclosing which information we have submitted). We will object to disclosure requests that we believe are improper.
Our Retention Policies
All data that is collected into log files by our web server is deleted every 31 days. We do not have backup storage of our log files. Deleting our log files permanently erases them. Aggregated data about visitors to our Website – which cannot be linked back to individual visitors – is maintained indefinitely.
Any information you provide us via email or feedback forms on our Website (as well as responses, if any, to your inquiry or comment) may be used and retained as necessary in order to respond to your inquiry or comment.
What if you have concerns or want to know what information we have about you?
Feel free to contact us via our feedback page to ask us to disclose to you any information we have about you. You have the right to request that we correct, update, or delete information that we may have about you. We may not accommodate a request to change information if we believe that the change would violate any law or legal obligation or cause the information to be incorrect.
except in the following circumstances: (i) to service providers and other third parties we use to support our business, (ii) to a successor in connection with a major organizational change, whether as a going concern or as part of bankruptcy, liquidation or similar proceeding, in which case a notice of the change will be provided on the Website, (iii) to fulfill the purpose for which you provide the information to the ID (for example, if you provide email addresses to send an article to a friend, the contents of the message will be disclosed to the intended recipient), (iv) if we believe disclosure is necessary to enforce the rights, property or safety of the ID or others, including in order to investigate attacks on the Website, or (v) to comply with subpoenas, court orders, and laws.